Symposium / September 14, 2020 - September 17, 2020
European Nanoanalysis Symposium (8th Dresden Nanoanalysis Symposium “on tour”)
Here original planning: E-MRS Fall Meeting 2020 is cancelled, European Nanoanalysis Symposium will be postponed.
The topic of the symposium, which will be integrated into the E-MRS Fall Meeting for the first time, is nano-scale materials characterization. Advanced analytical techniques are essential for modern materials research and innovation. The specific motto will be: "Nano-scale materials characterization - Advances in data acquisition and data analysis".
Webpage of the symposium at European Materials Research Society.
Research and development in materials characterization techniques are increasingly needed for modern materials science, for innovation in high-tech branches and to guarantee the functionality, performance and reliability of advanced products. The sustained progress materials science and engineering is increasingly driven by computational materials science, multi-scale modeling and characterization. More thane ever before, materials-driven product innovations in industry and shorter time-to-market introductions for new poducts require high advancement rates and a tight coupling between research, development and manufacturing. Analytical techniques and respective tools, particuarly to investigate nanomaterials, are considered to be fundamental drivers for innovation in industry.
As a consequence, this symposium will cover the topics of nanoanalysis and materials characterization along the whole value and innovation chain, from fundamental research up to industrial applications. It will bring scientists and engineers together from universities, research institutions, equipment manufacturers and industrial end-users. New results in disruptive nanoanalysis techniques will be reported in several talks and in the poster sessions, and novel solutions in the field of materials characterization for process and quality control will be shown. The discussions and interactions between the stakeholders will help to identify gaps in the fields of advancing nanoanalysis and materials characterization and to propose actions to close them and to support industrial exploitation of innovative materials. The symposium aims at reinforcing ongoing collaborations and discussing ideas for new collaborations.
Hot topics to be covered by the symposium:
- Multi-scale materials analysis and multi-scale modelling
- Electron microscopy (SEM, TEM) including analytical techniques (EDX, EELS, diffraction)
- X-ray microscopy and high-resolution X-ray computed tomography
- X-ray diffraction and X-ray spectroscopy (XAS, XRF)
- Near-field analytical techniques
- Surface analysis techniques
- Mechanical studies at thin films and nanostructures
- In-situ and operando studies
- Application in materials science, physics, chemistry and biology
- Applications in materials for energy storage and conversion: operando studies
- Applications in microelectronics: physical failure analysis and metrology
- Application of AI algorithms for advanced data analysis